With this blog post, I will kick start a small series which will show you a few techniques you can use to create simple decorations without purchasing any fondant tools and only the supplies readily available at home.
What is fondant?
Fondant is primarily a sugar dough. It is made two ways, either with icing sugar or melted marshmallows. Since fondant is 95% sugar, it is extremely sweet and not many people enjoy eating it. Fondant is like Play-Doh. Using food-safe colours, it can be coloured into any colour and shaped into anything.
Fondant is used for:
- Covering entire cakes for a neat and clean finish
- Making various customized figurines on theme cakes. For example, the lion and balloon on this cake have been made out of fondant. Fondant is a great way to personalize cakes and hence it is widely used.
In this post, I will show you how to make a bow and a few mini roses. So let’s begin.
How to Make a Fondant Bow without any specific tools
- Rolling Pin
- Pizza Cutter
- Sharp Knife
- A Ruler
- A Paintbrush
- Two pieces of plastic or tissue
- 150 grams Fondant in your choice of colour
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
- Soften the fondant by kneading it for a few minutes till its soft and easy to handle.
- Roll out the fondant into a long rectangle, doesn’t have to exact using a rolling pin. The fondant should be 1 millimetre or so thick. If you don’t have a rolling pin, use a bottle.
- Cut a strip of fondant, 4 cm wide and 16 to 18 cm in length. Also cut three more strips of fondant, 2 cm wide and 7 cm in length.
- Take the largest strip and fold it in half. Pinch it slightly at the middle to mark the middle.
- Now take the plastic/tissue and roll it like a cigar. Place the plastic in the middle half of the ribbon and fold the fondant over it. Similarly, do it on the other side as well. Using a bit of water stick the fondant to itself in the middle. Use a paintbrush or your finger to do so with very little water.
- Using your fingers pinch the middle of the bow to itself.
- Now using one of the smaller strips, fold over the pinched part of the bow and close the seam at the back, again using some water.
- With the remaining two strips, cut out a small triangle at the bottom of each. Place these to strips on top of each at an angle and stick the bow on top again using some water.
- Dry this overnight or till it hardens (can take a couple of days too) and then remove the plastic in between the fondant.